As part of adapting spaces and services for communities responding to COVID-19 over the next two years, the Government of Canada is redirecting $31 million of existing funding towards the Canada Health Communities Initiative.
The initiative will support under three main themes:
- Creating safe and vibrant public spaces
- Projects that create new or adapt existing public places such as parks, main streets, and other open spaces that encourage safe social interactions, cultural or physical activities, and local commerce.
- Improving mobility options
- Projects that permit physical distancing through permanent or temporary changes that make it easier for people to walk, bike, access public and private transit, or just meet with other people.
- Digital solutions
- Innovative infrastructure-related projects that address changing community needs through the use of data and connected technologies.
Funding will be provided through a, or group of, non-governmental not-for-profit organization(s) who will work directly with municipalities, local governments, Indigenous communities and not-for-profit community partners to identify and fund local solutions that will positively impact and improve the lives of Canadians.
For any questions contact the Canada Health Communities Initiative team.