La Rochelle is the oldest community in the rural municipality of De Salaberry, established in 1859. It was first settled by the Métis and later by French Canadian and Ukrainian families.
In 1890, Mr. De la Borderie and Mr. St-Exupéry established La Borderie butter production.
At the intersection of PTH#59 and PTH#23, a stone memorial now lies commemorating La Rochelle's school house. It had as many as 30 students at one time, and was one of the first schools in the area.