Building Permit

  • font size:A
  • A
  • A

A Building Permit shall be obtained from the Municipality by the owner or his agent for the erection or construction and reconstruction, placement or removal and location or relocation, addition or extension, alteration or conversion, renovations or repairs, excavation and underpinning, installation or renewal to any building or structure prior to the commencement of any works. A Building Permit ensures the building complies with the Manitoba Building Code and the Building Bylaw.

A building permit is not required for the following:

  • Non-structural renovations, alterations or repairs where construction costs do not exceed $10,000
  • Replacement of stucco, siding or shingles (with the same material)
  • Replacement of doors and windows when the size of opening is not altered
  • Construction of fences (as long as they are constructed inside property line and conform to Zoning Bylaws height restrictions)
  • Patching, painting and decorating
  • Installation of cabinets and shelves
  • Installation and replacement of sidewalks
  • Construction of accessory building and sheds less than 108 square feet provided that it does not create a hazard to neighbouring properties and meets the setbacks set out in the Zoning Bylaw
  • Replacing of flooring
  • Changing interior wall covering (i.e. drywall, paneling, etc.)
  • Replacing eaves troughs and down spouts
  • Taking down and reinstalling poly shelters in spring and fall
  • Moving and/or removing internal walls as long as it is not a bearing wall

In most cases a Building Permit and a Development Permit must be obtained from the RM of De Salaberry office prior to the start of construction.   Please note that these can both be applied for on the same building/development application form.

Fences & Hedges

No permits are required to build a fence or put up a hedge but they are required to comply with the Zoning By-Law and must adhere to the following rules: 

  • Fences or hedges can be up to 6 feet high in any rear or side yard, and up to 4 feet high in any front yard.
  • Fences may be built up to the property line but the property owner must accurately locate the property line.
  • Utility locates are recommended before constructing your fence. 

Please note that height restrictions do not apply in areas zoned AG (Agriculture General) or AL (Agriculture Limited).

For yard setbacks consult the Zoning Bylaw under Bulk Use Requirements or Yard Exceptions.

All major constructions, such as new dwellings, additions and new foundations for dwellings will require a Security Deposit when applying for a building permit.

Residential Buildings

For all new construction, additions or major renovations please include with the Building Permit Application the following:

  • Site plan showing location of proposed building on the property outlining distance to nearest buildings & property lines.
  • Building plans including foundation, electrical, plumbing, roof detail, wall detail, insulation, etc. 
  • Status of Title (current within 30 days)

In addition to these documents, the following may be required depending on the circumstances of the proposed development:

  • Any buildings over 784 sq. ft. must provide foundation plans approved by an engineer. 
    • If the proposed development is an addition to an existing building, the combined square footage must be calculated.
  • Surveyors Building Location Certificate or Surveyor's Staking Certificate.
  • If the applicant is not the owner then please fill out the section on the building/development application form that designates an agent to act on the landowner's behalf.

All buildings proposed to be moved into the Municipality will be required to be inspected by the Building Inspector prior to its relocation. Inspection fees are set to reflect the actual costs to do the inspection.

Driveway Permits

Some properties may need to install a driveway if the property has never been developed. In this case, a Driveway Permit is required to authorize connection to a municipal road. Public works will detail the size of the culvert required (if any) and will install it. The permitting fees reflect the cost of the work undertaken by the RM. 

Sewer & Water Connection

If sewer and water connection are available to the proposed development, it is required that they be hooked up. If you need to connect or disconnect from the public water and sewer system please fill out an Water & Sewer Connect/Disconnect Application Form and submit it to our office.  

Accessory Buildings (Shops, Sheds, Gazebos, Greenhouses, etc.)

Accessory storage buildings less than or equal to 108 ft2 in building area do not need a Building Permit. All buildings greater than 108 ft2 do require a Building Permit. In addition to the application form and site plan, you must provide building plans for the proposed development. Any accessory building greater than 784 sq. ft. requires engineer stamped drawings. If the proposed building is attached to another structure, the combined square footage must be calculated.

Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs

All private swimming pools and/or hot tubs capable of containing more than 24 inches (600 mm) of water require a Building Permit and must be inspected by the Municipal Building Inspector. This includes ALL types of above and below ground pools including temporary or seasonal pools.

All private pools must be completely enclosed with a fence or other suitable barrier erected in accordance with Part 10 of the Manitoba Building Code as follows:

  • The fence must have a minimum height of 1.5 meters (5 ft) including a gate which shall be self-closing and equipped with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry;
  • There shall be no openings other than the entry to a building or gate and it shall be constructed so as to prevent a child from crawling under either the fence or the gate;
  • Where material other than the chain link is used, the outside surface of the enclosure shall be relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds;
  • Chain link fencing may be used but must be at least 11 gauge;
  • The enclosure surrounding an outdoor pool shall be maintained in good repair.

Pool covers of any type, material, manufacture, or strength do not count as a suitable barrier. Hot tubs may substitute a lockable cover in place of a fence. However, it must be strong enough to support the weight of an adult walking on top of it.


A Building Permit is required for all decks or porches which are 24 inches or higher off the ground. All aspects of the building code must be complied with and include, but are not limited to the following: 

  • Where the floor level of a deck is between 24" and 72" above the ground, a railing of 36" in height must be installed around the deck. The opening between spindles must be no greater than 4".
  • Where the floor level of a deck is greater than 72" above ground, the railing height must be increased to 42". The requirement for spindle spacing remains at 4".

Hand drawn plans are permitted so long as they are acceptable to the Municipal Building Inspector. Please submit a site plan along with the deck application. Enclosed or covered decks greater than 784 sq. ft. require engineer stamped drawings. If the enclosed or covered deck is attached to another structure, the combined square footage must be calculated.

Agricultural Buildings

Any agricultural buildings less than 600 m2 (6458 ft2) in size receive a Building Permit through the RM of De Salaberry. Agricultural buildings larger than 600 m2 (including additions) are inspected by the RM of Hanover through an intermunicipal cooperation agreement. In both cases the RM of De Salaberry must approve a Development Permit for the construction of the proposed building. A Development Permit confirms that the proposed building complies with all of the zoning requirements and allows the municipality to determine if zoning variances or conditional use orders are required prior to building. The RM of Hanover will process the building permit application and generally requires the following information: site plan, professionally approved building plans, letter of assurance, letter of authorization from the landowner and municipal authorization from the RM of De Salaberry. For more information on building permits for agricultural buildings greater than 600 m2 you can contact Hanover’s Building Inspector at 204-346-7821 or by email at

Commercial, Industrial or Institutional Buildings

Most commercial industrial or institutional buildings are regulated under Part 3 of the Manitoba Building Code. All buildings classified as "A" Assembly Occupancies, "B" Detention, Treatment or Care Occupancies and "F1" High Hazard Industrial Occupancies fall under this section of the building code. Places of Assembly are any place for gathering including a community hall, church, arena or open-air facilities. Care & Detention facilities are personal care homes, healthcare facilities or detention centres. "F1" High Hazard Industrial are industrial facilities where activities pose a significant hazard to human health or the environment. Any building classified as "C" Residential Occupancies, "D" Business and personal Services Occupancies, "E" Mercantile Occupancies or "F2/3" Medium and Low Hazard Industrial Occupancies that is greater than 600 m2, larger than 3 stories or has more than 10 residential care clients residing in the building is also regulated under Part 3 of the Manitoba Building Code. 

There are more stringent design requirements associated with these types of construction that involve more input from architects and engineers. Accordingly, applications for Part 3 Buildings will require additional documentation like energy code calculations and architectural, electrical and/or mechanical drawings as well as letters of assurance from engineers and architects who have been working on the project. Each project is different and the exact requirements will be determined by the Building Inspector on a project basis. If you have questions about what types of design drawings and other documentation may be required for your project, please contact Hanover’s Building Inspector, Barry Plett, at 204-346-7821 or

Properties Adjacent Provincial Roadways

If you live along a Provincial Road (PR) or a Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH), a permit from Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation (MIT) may be required prior to applying for a building permit. Any structure that will be located within 125 ft of a property line bordering a provincial road must obtain the proper MIT Permit before applying for a building permit. For stretches of PTH 59 the required setback is 250 ft. The permits issued by Manitoba Infrastructure will set the required minimum setback for the building on the side of the building parallel to the provincial highway. Please obtain the required permits from Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation prior to submitting your building permit application to the RM of De Salaberry.

Any Questions or Concerns?

To ensure that you are aware of the different permits and what is required for each project please consult our Permit Checklist. In addition, these Frequently Asked Questions may help.

For any other questions including building permit application fees please contact our Municipal Planner at the RM of De Salaberry.  

Phone: 204-433-7406
Fax: 204-433-7063

If your project is nearing completion and requires inspection, the Building Inspection Schedule outlines when our inspectors are available to provide an inspection. Please note that a 24-hour notice must be given to the building inspector prior to needing an inspection.